Saturday, March 11, 2006

Tree of Life Chunky Book Pages


Taking a break, yawn, from gluing words onto sequins! This is the completed front of one of my Tree of Life chunky book pages. The theme said simplicity to me so that's what I've tried to achieve. I don't work in black and white very often but again, the theme just seemed to require it, so it's good old gesso and stamping again!! I carved the tree stamp inspired by a leaflet I picked up in the library. The leaf sequins are pearlescent so look a bit odd in the scan! There's also green and silver crayon on the edges of the pages but it doesn't show up very well on the pic. On the reverse of the pages will be this quote by Ilan Shamir :

Stand Tall and Proud
Sink your roots deeply into the Earth
Reflect the light of a greater source
Think long term
Go out on a limb
Remember your place among all living beings
Embrace with joy the changing seasons
For each yields its own abundance
The Energy and Birth of Spring
The Growth and Contentment of Summer
The Wisdom to let go of leaves in the Fall
The Rest and Quiet Renewal of Winter

4 comments:

emhowl said...

Just excellent, Maz. I love the simplicity and am impressed by the stamp carving. What did you use?

I particularly like the quote and would like to think about the last four lines for the Seasons atc swap.

Here it is blowing a blizzard and we've not been able to get out to church.

Ex

Kari said...

I adore this Maz! The words by the branches are so effective, I love it. The quote is adorable too.

Kx
(trapped indoors by heavy snow too)

artfulzebra said...

Thanks, guys! :-) I carved the stamp on some foamy stuff I picked up at the scrapstore, not ideal but very easy to cut. I've just finished all the gluing, just need to write my name on them and they're done, phew! If you see me wavering on the verge of signing up for another BIG chunky book then for goodness sake STOP ME! LOL No snow here much to E's disappointment! At least you can stay cosy and make art! :-)

Maz x

Jill said...

Fabulous Maz..am pleased for you that you were able to get going on this.. and it was so worth it.. loverly!

xxx