Monday, August 29, 2011

Walnut Tree Studio

Is there any greater compliment for an artist than to inspire someone else?  I recently had this experience and it's a lovely story that I'd like to share here.  ;o) 

At my exhibition, Beyond Convention, back in May I exhibited an installation piece called The Journaler's Retreat.  For those who didn't see it in the flesh, it's a shed turned into a little haven for art journaling.

The Journaler's Retreat
Photo courtesy of Rob Morris
Inside, the shed has a workspace to sit at and is furnished with materials and equipment to be wildy artistic with!  There is also a shelf of inspiring books and journals, fairy lights, a radio...everything you need to shut yourself away for some quality creative time!  ;o)

The Journaler's Retreat, interior
Photo courtesy of Rob Morris
At the launch event for the exhibition the piece was really popular and particularly so for Neil & Rachel Blue and their children, Rane and Eran.  Rane and Eran were so inspired that the family went home and decided to convert their garden shed into a creative zone!  ;o)  Neil and I are members of the same life drawing group at Savage Studios in Chatteris so over the last few months I've been hearing about the progress of their garden shed and then recently they asked if I would come and officially open the shed, by now renamed as the Walnut Tree Studio.  ;o)   So, a couple of weeks ago I went along on a Monday evening and performed in my debut opening ceremony!  ;o) 

It wasn't the sunniest of evenings so the pictures are a little dim but hopefully you can see how much fun it was!

All ready for the off!


Out in the rain fuelled by excellent pre ceremony tea, scones and biscuits!

Neil making his, obviously amusing, opening speech!
Wielding the scissors as I make my little speech.
Off we go!
Rane (back) and Eran in Walnut Tree Studio
A view of some of the decorations in the studio.
Neil and Rachel on the threshold.
Rane and Eran's fab welcome posters.
My thanks to Neil, Rachel, Rane and Eran for a delightful evening, I was so flattered to be asked to go along and perform the official duties and the studio itself has a lovely atmosphere, I'm sure it will get alot of use and I'm now eagerly awaiting the first exhibition at the studio which will hopefully be at the end of November (won't it, family Blue?).  ;o)  It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to know that a piece of my work has been so inspirational.  ;o) 

4 comments:

NeilBlue said...

thank you for coming to open up our shed! :) (rane)

NeilBlue said...

this is a very exciting shed (eran)

Rolina said...

What a great space that is going to be to work in - I want one!

artfulzebra said...

You're more than welcome, Rane, it was a pleasure. ;o) And, Eran, yes, it's very exciting! ;o) Have you both made anything with your collage packs yet?

Kari, get a shed! ;oD

Thanks for looking folks! ;o)

Maz x