Thursday, April 10, 2008

Photographic Wander

I'm having a bit of a chilled out week after the mania of the show last week and have been pleasing myself what and where I go. ;o) On Wednesday I had to return a library book to Downham Market, a town about 20 miles from here over the border in Norfolk. I go there relatively often and spent quite alot of time there in my childhood as my paternal grandparents lived there after their retirement. It was a gloriously sunny day and I decided to go for a walk after I'd visted the library and I discovered a cemetery that I didn't know existed. Although I played in the adjacent park as a child I don't suppose I was interested in graves then! LOL I spent an hour wandering about taking photos and, in lieu of any artwork, I thought I'd share some of my favourites here! My archive of photos for my cemetery artwork project is growing at a rate of knots!



This is the top of the Downham town clock.



A view of the parish church. I love the colours of this style of brickwork.



The lock and handle on the main church door. The key that fits that keyhole must be HUGE!



Love the patterning on this grave adornment.



I've recently taking a liking to photographing things looking up at them!



Some glorious moss growing on the top of a horizontal tombstone.



This little verse on a Royal Norfolk Regiment war grave brought a lump to my throat. He was just 23 years old.



More fab moss!



I've always wondered how this little lane got it's unusual name!

3 comments:

Linda D. said...

Maz, some lovely photos. Sad, though, about the young soldier - such a short life. As for the road name, conjures up some intriguing images, lol!!!

sharon young said...

What a wonderful set of photos, Maz, takes you from tears to laughter!! with some great patterns and textures on the way:-)
We'll be going to Norfolk in June, somewhere close to Norwich I think.
My geography's abysmal LOL

artfulzebra said...

Thanks guys! ;o) I've been trying to find out the origins of that lane's name but no joy yet! Norwish is about an hour and a half from us, Sharon, so your geography isn't that bad! lol

Maz x