Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Altered Tin & Book





I've been working on a swap piece for a challenge on one of the Yahoo groups I belong to. The idea of the challenge was to create a piece of artwork inspired by this quote:

There is an Indian proverb that says that everyone is a house with four rooms, a physical, an emotional, a mental, and a spiritual. Most of us tend to live in one room most of the time, but unless we go into every room everyday, even if only to keep it aired, we are not a complete person.
Rumer Godden

I decided to alter a house shaped tin I had and make an altered book to go inside it. I sanded the tin and then gessoed it before stamping randomly all over it. I then added the border around the bottom and fiddled about with gold foil around the edges of the shapes. On the lid I stamped the four "rooms" along the edges and wireded embellishments through the four holes that DH drilled for me. ;o) Each embellishment represents one of the "rooms" - spiritual - feather, mental - spiral, physical - body and emotional - heart. The chunky board board book that I altered is more of the same (gesso, stamping and gold foil), with hand written quotes for each "room". The book sits in white net inside the tin.

Here's a few pics but there's more on my Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/58739721@N00/

3 comments:

Linda D. said...

Ooh brilliant idea, love what you've done!

Jill said...

Maz this is fantastic, really really fabulous. Wonderful idea :). One day I will understand why you are so unsure of your skills and creative prowess.

xxxx

artfulzebra said...

Thank you everyone. :o) You know how to perk a girl up!

Maz x