Monday, December 13, 2010

Advent-urous Artists Day 13


I have no reason for posting this image of a statue atop a clock in Newcastle other than the fact that I fell in love with her as soon as I saw her!  I'd forgotten all about the photos I took on a weekend visit to the city earlier this year until I came across them while idling about looking through old albums searching for some inspiration for a blog post.  ;o)  I knew nothing about her so I've just had a little Googlette and discovered that the clocks and figures (there were two originally, I don't know if both still exist but I assume so) were commissioned by Northern Goldsmiths in 1932.  The figures are based on Venus and the outstretched arms symbolise progress.  One of the clocks (not sure if it's the one I snapped) was a popular place for servicemen and their sweethearts to meet during the Second World War.  I love her lines, she has a beautiful naked sweep, as Miranda Hart would say.  ;o)


Check out Rob and Ric's posts for today!
     

1 comment:

Unknown said...

and she has 2 arms... !!